Families at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland
The Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland is a sacred gathering place for seekers of all ages to participate in the Siddha Yoga practices. Gurumayi Chidvilasananda gave the name Taruna Poshana to the department that oversees Siddha Yoga teaching and learning events for children, young people, and families around the world. Its literal translation is “nurturing the youthful spirit.”
Join our email list
Siddha Yoga Teaching and Learning Events for Families at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland
What events may children attend?
Children are welcome to attend all teaching and learning events at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland, unless instructed otherwise in the description of the event.
What events are recommended especially for children and families?
- Family satsangs
- There is a Siddha Yoga satsang designed especially for families with children up to 12 years of age.
- In these events, families engage with the Siddha Yoga teachings and practices together, such as chanting and meditation.
- These satsangs take place once a month, on a Sunday morning.
- Family retreats
- Families are invited to participate in the Siddha Yoga Family Retreat.
- Chanting with children and young people
- Families and young people ages 13 to 24 are also invited to participate in chanting namasankirtanas.
- These chants take place monthly on Saturdays at 12:00 noon, accompanied by a musical ensemble of young Siddha Yoga music sevites.
For more information about the Events for Families at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland, please contact the Taruna Poshana Department Coordinator, Ericka Huggins. Contact Ericka at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 510-898-2700, extension 4109.
The Siddha Yoga terms for each age group are:
- Shishu (birth to 5 years)
- Shishu is a Sanskrit word for "one who is beginning to learn."
- Bala (6 to 9 years)
- Bala is a Sanskrit word for "young child."
- Kumar (10 to 12 years)
- Kumar is a Sanskrit word for "a royal child with spiritual wealth."
- Kishor (13 to 17 years)
- Kishor is a Sanskrit word for "young, strong and dynamic."
- Yuva (18 to 24 years)
- Yuva is the Sanskrit word for "young adult."