Many opportunities for Siddha Yogis to offer seva, or selfless service, are available at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland through Teaching and Learning events as well as ongoing daily operations. You may wish to know more about these opportunities:
Serving as a Community Sevite
Community sevites are Siddha Yogis who offer seva at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland as day visitors. If you are living within a day’s drive of the Ashram, there are a wide variety of seva opportunities, such as administrative, Information Technology (IT), music, audio and video, gardening, welcoming, baking, cooking, and cleaning. You may offer an hour or two or a full day of seva, regularly or during a single visit.
Please contact the Seva Center Coordinator:
• Tel: 510-898-2700 extension 4013
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All community sevites pay the required fee for meals at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland .
Serving as a Visiting Sevite
Visiting sevites are Siddha Yoga students who have prior experience and a good understanding of the practice of seva and would like to deepen this experience by offering full-time seva and staying at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland. If you would like to stay at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland and offer full-time seva (six hours a day, six days a week) for up to six months, please send an e-mail to:
The Seva Center: email@example.com
Please allow a minimum of one month for your request to be processed. All visiting sevites pay the required fee for accommodations and meals at the Ashram.
Serving on Staff
The spiritual practice of seva is the primary focus of staff in the SYDA Foundation serving at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland. Staff serve for six months or longer. If you would like to make a long-term commitment to the practice of seva at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland, please request an application form by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. When you complete the application form, please state clearly that you wish to serve at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland.
Staff positions at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland require various types of skills and experience. For example:
- Event Production, e.g., director, producer
- Finance, e.g., budgeting, accounting
- Food Services, e.g., cooking, baking, restaurant experience
- Information Technology, e.g., Windows network administration, help desk, project management
- Maintenance, e.g., carpentry, electric, plumbing, HVAC, appliance repair, project management
- Multimedia, e.g., video, audio, photography
- Office Administration, e.g., computer proficiency, documentation, filing, typing
- Writing, editing, copyediting and proofreading
There are also short-term and long-term seva positions available at: