Welcome to the
Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland
The Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland was established by Swami Muktananda on April 28, 1975. The Ashram welcomes visitors and spiritual seekers of all ages, faiths, and cultures. The Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland is open seven days a week for
- Meditation in Shaktinilaya Hall, the Bhagavan Nityananda Temple, and the courtyard garden
- Events such as Siddha Yoga Meditation Sessions via Live Audio Stream, satsangs, and retreats
- Seva, or selfless service
- The Bookstore for Siddha Yoga books, CDs, DVDs, and other items to support your spiritual practices
- The Amrit Café for vegetarian meals and snacks
Are you planning to visit for the first time?
We have events for all ages. Children and teens and young people are beloved and vibrant parts of our community. Each month there are events that are especially for children and their families and for teens and young adults.
Welcome Orientations are a great way to become familiar with Siddha Yoga.
- Sunday, 10:15 a.m. – 10:35 a.m., before the Sunday satsang or event.
- Please check the calendar to confirm as occasionally an event preempts the orientation.
- Saturday, 6:45 p.m. - 7:05 p.m., once a month before the namasankirtana with Music Ensemble.
- Please check the calendar for dates as there are a few months when this event is not scheduled.
What is the Ashram Daily Schedule?
In addition to calendar events, the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland follows a daily schedule. If you are planning to come for a specific event, you may wish to stay longer to chant or meditate. Please check the Ashram Daily Schedule.
Where will I eat?
The Amrit Café provides snacks, drinks, and two fresh organic meals a day for purchase. It is a place to refresh your body as you engage in the Siddha Yoga practices and participate in events at the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland.
What should I wear?
The Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland is a place of spiritual retreat. Please dress modestly as you would to enter any place of worship in order to respect the sacred atmosphere.
How can I encourage my friends to join me?
Share with your friends what draws you to the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland and invite them to join you. Show them the Siddha Yoga path website. If they are interested, show them the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland website and invite them to join you for a meal, Welcome Orientation, and an event that you might enjoy together.
The Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland is an urban ashram. Visitors walk, bike, drive, and take public transportation. Directions are on the CONTACT webpage.
How can I prepare before I come?
In anticipation of your visit the the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland, and to prepare further, you might like to begin a practice of visiting the Siddha Yoga path website. It is a vibrant, grace-filled site that is updated daily.
Below is a sample of information available on the Siddha Yoga path website:
How can I choose the right event for me to participate in?
Here are a few details about ongoing events to help you decide where to start. Many of the events offered do not have a fee to participate. For events with a fee, registration information is provided.
If you like
To explore events especially for children and families
- Visit the families page
To discover events that are for ages 13 - 24
- Visit the young people page
An event with a teaching, chanting, and meditation
- The Bhagavan Nityananda Temple and Shaktinilaya Hall are open for meditation whenever the Siddha Yoga Ashram in Oakland is open and there is not a calendar event scheduled. Please check the Ashram Daily Schedule for times the Ashram is open.
- Siddha Yoga Meditation Sessions via Live Audio Stream (registration required)
- Muktananda Dhyana Saptah (registration required)
- Daily Recitation of Shri Guru Gita. Please check the Ashram Daily Schedule for the time for Shri Guru Gita recitation, as well as for other scriptural texts that are recited daily or weekly.
- Shiva Mahimnah Stotram or Shri Rudram, first Saturday evening of the month, 7:15 p.m. - 8:15 p.m.
- Namasankirtana with Music Ensemble, one Saturday evening per month during most months. This is a beautiful group chant done in a call and response fashion with musical accompaniment. Please see the calendar for dates and times.
The following are the focal events of the year:
The Global Siddha Yoga Shaktipat Intensive in honor of Baba Muktananda's Mahasamadhi is offered in October and November.
- The Siddha Yoga Shaktipat Intensive is the event that serves as the primary vehicle through which Gurumayi Chidvilasananda bestows shaktipat-diksha, or awakening of the spiritual energy within a seeker (registration required).
A Sweet Surprise Satsang is offered in January.
- In this satsang, Gurumayi gives her Message for the New Year that guides our focus of study for the year (registration required).